Off to Neverland
When I was little, my mom would put me in bed and ask me what book I wanted to read. Almost every time I would say Peter Pan. Mostly, I just liked it because we had the disney version, and the pictures took up the whole page, and I thought that it was so cool that Tinker Bell could made things fly with just a sprinkle of fairy dust. Then a few years later, it was still one of my favorite books because I love the story, it brings me back to when I was a kid, and it makes me believe for one second that I won't grow up and I don't need to worry about what lies ahead. Now, Peter Pan remains one of my favorite books because it deals with so many things that people are struggling with today. For example, the story deals with violence,the fear of becoming an adult and what it entails, and orphans. Even though Peter Pan is a fictional book, it is not just some pointless fairy tale.
What makes Peter Pan such a great story is that J.M. Barrie put elements of his own life into the story, and made them fictional. He wanted every kid to know that there would always be a place for them.
Peter Pan is about a mischievous boy who lives in a fantasy world, where time stands still, people never grow up. One night he comes across Wendy, Michael, and John, and invites them to join him on his journey back to Neverland. They go with him and Tinker Bell, Peter's fairy, and there they meet the Lost Boys. Wendy enthusiastically takes on the role of caring for them, almost taking the place of a mother figure. Everything seems perfect, until Captain Hook appears. He captures Wendy, her brothers, and Tiger Lily (a local indian princess), whom Peter Pan has to save.
When people think of Peter Pan, they think of never growing up; but when I think of Peter Pan I also think about someone who risked their life to save a group of their friends. I think that that is a really important message of the book. Loyalty is important, Peter Pan never once thought about giving up, and abandoning the people he cared for. In my life, I try to stay true to the people I care for, and if my friends were danger, I would do anything, I could to help them. Peter Pan teaches kids to be loyal to people close to them, and it gives them something to read that they actually enjoy.
Peter Pan is a loved story all around the world. It has been told for years, enjoyed by almost everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment