Thursday, March 21, 2013

Marley and Me







Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World’s Worst Dog 

A few years ago, I saw Marley and Me when it came out on the big screen, but  I had never actually read the book. A few weeks ago, I saw the movie again and thought to myself that Marley and Me by John Grogan would be a really good read. It turns out I was right. The story was heartfelt and honest, I even cried a little at the end. 

Grogan takes you through a chapter of his life, maybe even one of the most important chapters. He is settling down and starting a family with his wife Jenny. To see if they are ready to take the next big step and have kids, they decided to get a cuddly labrador retriever, named Marley. The second they got him, their lives changed. They no longer could be carefree, they now had a responsibility, a yellow fuzzball, which would later turn into a 100 pound machine. 

Although Marley wasn’t the most well behaved dog, he even got obedience school, he was the sweetest dog anyone could ever have. He helped the Grogans get through a lot, a miscarriage, a stabbing, and the birth of two children. He was loyal and did anything to protect his family. 

This genuine and hilarious novel shows that the human/animal bond in unbreakable, no matter the age of the person or his/her situation. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who is an animal lover. Parents could read it to their kids, teens would get a good laugh, and adults would find this book heartwarming. It is book that I could read over and over again. The thing that makes it stand out is how honest Grogan’s writing is. You can tell he is an accomplished writer because of his diction, tone, and syntax. He uses uses the appropriate language at all times. Parts that are funny, the word choice is hilarious; parts that are sad make you tear up. Everything flows so well together and is simple enough to read, but also enjoyable. Grogan wrote this story right after Marley died, I think he wanted to share his story, and tell people that  a dog can and will change your life. 

Grogan asks, “Is it possible to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than life dog?” I believe that it is. My life would not be the same without my dog Tucker. Everyday I come home and he is so excited to see me; it brightens up my day. Dogs, and any other pets do make a difference; they make people happy, as we make them happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment